IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Gloggies, Awards for TPS Blog guest bloggers
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Oct 17 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Guests

Although "The Science Guy" still has the rest of the week to work on his rating, I was wondering how others rated the "gloggers."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hendric
post Oct 19 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

My wishlist:
Glogging a permanent fixture of the website, maybe monthly instead of weekly?
Email notification of updates.
Also, a nice to have would be an aggregator of space blogs, ie blogs.planetary.org would be a "repeater" of other blogs, such as MRO, Phoenix, etc. and invite other scientists to create blogs.

I could probably manage the second two with some kind of RSS/Atom/XML software, but I don't want to have to deal with it. Also, I don't know of all the available blogs, and it would be nice to have a single site with all of them.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 20 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (hendric @ Oct 19 2006, 01:20 PM) *
My wishlist:
Glogging a permanent fixture of the website, maybe monthly instead of weekly?

Others at the Society agree that the 'gloggers' were a success, and we definitely want to do more of it. I'm not sure how regular it will be, but we'll try to continue featuring guests. There's several people in the business who have an open invitation to send me their musings any time they feel like sharing. smile.gif

Email notification of updates.

There's an RSS feed -- that's the easiest way to find out about updates.
Also, a nice to have would be an aggregator of space blogs, ie blogs.planetary.org would be a "repeater" of other blogs, such as MRO, Phoenix, etc. and invite other scientists to create blogs.

I could probably manage the second two with some kind of RSS/Atom/XML software, but I don't want to have to deal with it. Also, I don't know of all the available blogs, and it would be nice to have a single site with all of them.

Hmm. I'm not sure about aggregating all space blogs, but I am putting together a page for the weblog with links to the sites I find most useful...anyone can email me at blog@planetary.org with your favorites and I'll include them on my list!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Oct 20 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 20 2006, 11:46 AM) *
Hmm. I'm not sure about aggregating all space blogs, but I am putting together a page for the weblog with links to the sites I find most useful...

I don't envy you in the selection process. I'm sure there are nutcases out there with "space-related" websites, which is a very loose description, who'll say, "Hey, I'm a TPS member. Why don't you link to my site?"

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Oct 20 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1062

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Oct 20 2006, 03:11 PM) *
I don't envy you in the selection process. I'm sure there are nutcases out there with "space-related" websites, which is a very loose description, who'll say, "Hey, I'm a TPS member. Why don't you link to my site?"

It could be done simply, limit it to official blogs and/or blogs of scientists on a mission team. That's unbiased and fair. Of course, I guess there is a whole section like space.com's blog, but, well, it's a start at least...

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Oct 20 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (tuvas @ Oct 20 2006, 12:23 PM) *
It could be done simply, limit it to official blogs and/or blogs of scientists on a mission team. That's unbiased and fair.

Sure, if one is affiliated with, for example, HiBlog. I suspect, though, that there are many TPS members who have non-official blogs or websites who might feel differently. biggrin.gif

EDIT: In fact, under the ciriterion of "official blogs and/or blogs of scientists on a mission team," even UMSF wouldn't be linked.

This post has been edited by AlexBlackwell: Oct 20 2006, 10:40 PM

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Oct 20 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1062

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Oct 20 2006, 03:34 PM) *
Sure, if one is affiliated with, for example, HiBlog. I suspect, though, that there are many TPS members who have non-official blogs or websites who might feel differently. biggrin.gif

EDIT: In fact, under the ciriterion of "official blogs and/or blogs of scientists on a mission team," even UMSF wouldn't be linked.

Simple, UMSF isn't a blog. Thus, it wouldn't deserve mention as one;-) Maybe an exception could be added for professional news organizations, people with news media access, or something like that... TPS would qualify, space.com's blog, and maybe another one or two...

Seriously, I wouldn't expect anyone to link to my blog, my personal one, mind you. Of couse, I don't update it often enough, but, well... It does have a few points about MRO and HiRISE... The point is, if there is some well-defined criteria, then the debate is over, and one can only petition a change in the rules. I think a compact list of space science blogs is of alot more use than a large list of loosly space-related blogs, but...

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Oct 20 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (tuvas @ Oct 20 2006, 01:07 PM) *
The point is, if there is some well-defined criteria, then the debate is over, and one can only petition a change in the rules. I think a compact list of space science blogs is of alot more use than a large list of loosly space-related blogs, but...

I don't disagree with you, tuvas. In fact, I would probably be even tougher with my criteria and even ignore some "official" sites. cool.gif

In any event, I was just putting myself in Emily's shoes by imagining an influx of complaints from disgruntled bloggers who happen to be dues-paying TPS members and felt they were being ignored.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- AlexBlackwell   The Gloggies   Oct 17 2006, 06:17 PM
- - Phil Stooke   Without giving specific ratings, I'd just say ...   Oct 17 2006, 06:28 PM
|- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 17 2006, 08:28 A...   Oct 17 2006, 06:34 PM
- - Stu   First of all, congratulations are due, I think, to...   Oct 17 2006, 06:38 PM
|- - ugordan   Can't pick a number one, but If I had to singl...   Oct 17 2006, 07:12 PM
|- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (ugordan @ Oct 17 2006, 09:12 AM) C...   Oct 17 2006, 07:30 PM
- - hendric   My wishlist: Glogging a permanent fixture of the w...   Oct 19 2006, 08:20 PM
- - elakdawalla   QUOTE (hendric @ Oct 19 2006, 01:20 PM) M...   Oct 20 2006, 09:46 PM
- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 20 2006, 11:46 A...   Oct 20 2006, 10:11 PM
- - tuvas   QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Oct 20 2006, 03:11...   Oct 20 2006, 10:23 PM
- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (tuvas @ Oct 20 2006, 12:23 PM) It ...   Oct 20 2006, 10:34 PM
- - tuvas   QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Oct 20 2006, 03:34...   Oct 20 2006, 11:07 PM
- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (tuvas @ Oct 20 2006, 01:07 PM) The...   Oct 20 2006, 11:30 PM
- - djellison   QUOTE (tuvas @ Oct 21 2006, 12:07 AM) Sim...   Oct 21 2006, 08:58 AM
- - tuvas   QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 21 2006, 01:58 AM)...   Oct 21 2006, 02:30 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 05:37 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.